Homework is assignment or activity that students are asked to do outside school time either on their own or with parents. HIS believes that homework should not prevent students from participating in afterschool activities such as sport, or clubs of any kind. Equally, students should plan afterschool activities as well as allow time to complete homework.
At HIS, the purpose of assigning homework is to:
• Engage students in new opportunities that demonstrate their ability to transfer knowledge, concepts, and skills into different situations
• Elicit student’s views about a concept and determine student schemata to enable scaffolding of student learning
• Encourage deeper inquiry into concepts
• Strengthen home-school / parent-student connection
• Consolidate and reinforce skills
• Encourage students to develop the confidence and self-discipline necessary for independent work
• Enable students to organize time based on assignment requirements
• Promote healthy growth and development (e.g., practicing physical skills, interviewing family members,…)
• Develop life skills (e.g., self-direction, independent problem solving)
HIS pedagogical leadership team developed a clear detailed policy which communicates with parents, students and teachers the purpose behind assigning homework of various types and durations.